The Alternative Mellie-Emo

Everyone has a flip-side...

Sunday, January 30, 2005

A word of advice

Every now and again we will run into people we haven't seen in awhile, and the second question they always ask is, "So, John, what are you doing these days?" Assuming, of course, that means, "what are you doing for work?" And then the third question is ALWAYS, "and what about you, Melissa?" This was only semi-annoying when I actually had a job, but now that I don't have a job (and haven't for about 5 months), it is degrading, irritating, and, moveover, embarrasing.

So tonight I answered, "nothing right now." And left it at that.

The lady said, "ooh sounds nice! Where do I sign up?"

Not looking up from my notebook, I said, "no...it's not nice...not at all." This was said with a bitterness I didn't even know I was capable of. Even at the time I knew this didn't sound like me. I hadn't recognized that my situation bothered me as much as it must...

Dear people we see who ask me what I do for work:

PLEASE DON'T.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home