The Alternative Mellie-Emo

Everyone has a flip-side...

Friday, February 25, 2005

Clean so You May Live

I'm not looking forward to today. I have to clean the WHOLE house! I like to clean, but it just seems like such an overwhelming task. I have to do it because tomorrow at 8 a.m. a guy is coming to loook at our house. He might possibly buy it! We haven't advertised the idea, but this man knows about all of our dreams to fix the house up, but how we just can't possibly manage it anytime soon. It turns out that's just what he does: buys houses just to fix them up and re-sell. He thinks by buying our house he would save us a lot of stress and worry (and money). And I agree. So I have to make this place look as nice as it can. There is one-half of the upstairs that we completely ignore because it's been that way [ignored] for decades (and it shows). So we've been stashing all of our cleaning/working supplies in one room. It's a cluttered mess. Not to mention it's never been vacuumed and there are tons of dead lady-bugs all over the floor and windows. Eww. Out of sight, out of mind, I am guessing. It sure can't look like that tomorrow. Usually when we show our friends and family our house, we just refer to that room as "Work Central." Ha. But I would feel pretty embarassed. The room looks bad enough WITHOUT a mess, so cleaning up the mess would make a big difference. That room, in realily, is the one that made me die for this house.

It's huge. There are 4 windows and a gigantic walk-in closet. I just pictured it all fixed up someday, the sun gleaming in from every angle. I pictured making it look as it did over 100-years ago.

If the guy wants to buy our house, I will be sad. This is a friendly house. For being 102 years old, I expected some strangeness, like ghosts and eerie feelings. None. It's completely still and warm and cozy. I'm afraid if we moved, our house would have strange feelings and would not want us there. This house adores us. I can feel it. Each time we make an improvement, the house stands taller with pride. I know it sounds silly, but it's true.

When I took the carpeting out downstairs and scrubbed the hardwood floors, I could feel the house beaming as if it was receiving a back rub or something. Like it was so happy that someone was exposing it's original, true beauty, which had hidden by artificial crap for so long.

But then I know what this guy wants to do: fix up our house. I know the house deserves it. Any other bloke would just knock it down and build some other sort of structure. Poor house. With the right care, I'm sure it could live for another one hundred years or more.

Tomorrow shall be interesting.


Above: Our house in the distance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home