The Alternative Mellie-Emo

Everyone has a flip-side...

Sunday, April 24, 2005

An Ending

My kitten died today.

I am not sure what happened.

I do know that he loved to be sung to. In order to form a bond between the two of us, I would always prop him on my lap in his "boxer shorts blanket" and sing to him. It began with me singing the songs my own mother had sung to me, such as "You are my Sunshine." As I sang this song, he would stop his tears and listen. And, as I sang, I also remembered how my mom had made up her own songs for me. One day, I stopped singing.

"Should we make up our own lulliby, Ollie?" I asked him.

His little face looked up, his eyes showing recognition of me as his caretaker...perhaps even his mother. I could tell he was in love and content and happy, and as he purred, I continued to talk about the song we would write.

Even though his physical body is now underground by the lone blue spruce on our property, the love for his soul remains in my body. I know we are still connected in some fashion. Our bond had begun to be spun, and now, for you, Ollie,

One more time.

"Ollie's Lulliby"
(Sung to the melody of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star")

Ollie's sleepy, Look at him!
He just had his din-din.
Shut your sleepy little eyes.
We don't want to hear any little cries.

Ollie's sleepy, Look at him!
When he wakes up,
he will have din-din.


Goodnight my perfect kitty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home